Friday 10 August 2012

Second Best?

I’m not sure what reminded me, but earlier this week I was thinking about a time that feels like a life time ago now. Back at about the Easter of 2006 when I was just a Lower Sixther I applied to be Deputy Head Girl. I don’t remember the boys side of the role, and to be honest off the top of my head I can’t remember who actually won it, but I know I didn’t – but that’s not the point I’m getting to.

The other three girls who were in the race all went for both roles; Head and Deputy Head Girl. Therefore we voted for Head Girl first, that was announced and then we voted for Deputy Head Girl. It struck me, watching the women’s hockey team (did you really think I wasn’t writing about the games in our, well my, capital city) play for bronze. It’s not often we think about athletes playing for bronze, generally we want them to get gold! But I’ve spent loads of time these past couple of weeks shouting at presenters saying ‘give them a break, they are incredible, 2nd best in the world! – no one else can say that.’

I don’t know if the other girls who applied saw getting Deputy Head Girl as 2nd best, the consolation prize. I applied for Deputy Head Girl as I prefer to be in the background, making things happen, getting alongside people. I’ve been told this week, partially because I’m short but also as I look young that I need to be more assertive, and worry less about making people like me. Maybe I do, but maybe this is just my personality type, my leadership style, my passion for participation showing through in what I do.

But it was okay, that I didn’t get the Deputy Head Girl post, because about 6 months later was November 2006, and that’s when my life completely changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment