Friday 18 April 2014

Lent 6 - Risky love

Welcome to holy week.

The week we experience it all; the exuberance of Palm Sunday, the righteous anger in the Temple, the last supper of a group of friends, betrayal, denial, torture, suicide, death, grieving, resurrection, new life, joy, questions, doubts, breakfast. What a week!

I was trying to think of a certain quotation about life being a race, and I came across a long list. I think my fave is - 'Life is like a Taxi. The meter keeps ticking whether you are getting somewhere or just standing still.'

A current favourite movie of me and those closes to me is 'About Time'; the story of a man who can time travel, who can repeat time and make it better. This is a totally different world to that of Dr Who as in About Time you can't meet yourself and cause a paradox. Though changing too much can totally change the present. The main character and his Dad (who can also time travel) both have a different ideology as to how to best use the gift and live out each day to the best - I won't tell you how, that's as River Song would say "spoilers"

Last night I was at a Maundy Thursday meal and communion. Based on an Iona liturgy of doubters, betrayers, deniers, all. we had the choice of getting communion from one of four stations with a special liturgy to fit with that character.
     Thomas for those who doubt themselves, others and God,
     Judas for those who betrayed themselves, others and God,
     Peter for those who have denied themselves, others and God,
     and the others, the secret, silent ways we fail, the times we don't wash feet or love others.
It also have 6 stories of the last thing I said to them. Last words are often remembered. What if the last thing you said to someone, was the last thing.

This week's reflection touches on who we journey with. Who have you chosen to journey with. It's risky to travel with people, but even more so to travel alone. Love is risky. Today at the Good Friday service three nails were hammered into the cross, it was a powerful sound. What would it have been like for Jesus' friends to hear, to see.

Jesus chose the ultimate path, my life journey hasn't always been simple, but when you think of Christians in other countries, people in extreme poverty. My life hasn't been hard. Some days I wonder why God has called me to this life path, but then usually one of my friends makes it okay.

I read another blog the other day, written by a mother who says 6 simple words have changed the way she talks to her children. "I love to watch you play"

So to you, my wonderful friends, who I've chosen to journey with.
I love to hear your stories
I love to see your photos
I love to get your emails
I love to stay up all night talking
I love your hugs
and most of all
I love your friendship.

Life is a journey, with its ups and downs, but I wouldn't miss it for the world.

Happy Easter.

Saving God, it is not just that I find it hard to trust you; rather that I don't trust my own judgement.
Sometimes you seem to invite me to choose a path that scares me. Help me to keep close to you, that I may

glimpse you on the path ahead, follow you and find your way today. Amen

1 comment:

  1. Hello Rach. So good to know you through your profile on the blogger. I am also gladt to stop by your blog "Just another drop in the Water" and the post on it "Lent-6 Risky Love". very throughtful and touching specially the question you have asked "who have you choosen to journey with?".I am blessed by your post and it is so good to know such people of God. I am also glad to know that you are a youth worker. I just would like to share with your a program our church in Mumbai, India has for the young people as well as adults from the West. We encourage such people to come to Mumbai on short / long term missions trip to work with us in the slums of Mumbai amongst poorest of poor to share the good news of Jesus Christ and to give them new hope, future and life. I am in the Pastoral ministry for last 35yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the broken hearted. We would love to have some young people in your contact to come to Mumbai on a short / long term missions trip to work with us in the slums of Mumbai during their summer/christmas vacation. My email id is :dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking forward to hear from you very soon.

    ReplyDelete