Friday 12 August 2011

just another day in SA!

To my lovely readers, if you are there!
Firstly and most importantly I want to wish Duncan a very happy birthday, hope you liked your card and present and I’ll give you lots of hugs when I get home – obviously a further present is no hugs today! 
Right then: Update of past 24 hours!
• Area meeting, presentation of new officers, me and Irish Rachel did a great double act – even if I say so myself, then conversations about transport. Dad, I’ve found someone also going the route you suggested so that’s all sorted! Will have 7 hours at airport here, but that saves r180 = £18 so that will get me a good lunch!
• HKS. Me, Rachel and Murielle had to think of a vision for Europe, its something about self worth and everyone knowing they are beautiful inside and out.
• Then tea with the world officers, who were late, but it was nice all the same.
• Then Rachel and I went and had a look round the stalls, so many pretty things!
• The African area reports were loud and colourful as you would expect, one of the HKS Aurelia did some amazing dancing.
• The british unit presentation is on Saturday night so we had a practice and I need to learn the chorus of the song, and practice my little story.
• Then I went to bed, and slept really well.
• This mornings opening devotions were all about Pricilla, and rather than from a ‘why should women lead’ perspective the speaker talked about her a part of the couple, but also a very important person in her own right. It was moving too as it was said in Spanish and translated for the rest of us.
• Then the Bible study was really good, interesting aspects of Matt 15 21:28. Was Jesus prejudice..? but also about the ‘other’ how we treat outsiders
• To make up for flying over England which Steve C wouldn’t approve of, and it is all his fault I’m even here I went to the workshop hope for creation. We talked about traffic and recycling, gardens and water. We pondered of why wasn’t eden enough for us. Looked at our needs and wants and learnt pigs like tofu. We need to think that the earth has abundance – cos it has, not that its lacking, which is not true.
• Then I had lunch!
Rach
PS it is now evening, but I’ll update today tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. Mum, Dad and Duncan12 August 2011 at 18:30

    Hi,
    Glad to hear that things are going so well - we are enjoying looking out for your posts every day.
    We went to play 'pitch and put' for Duncan's birthday. He likes his present and the essay you wrote inside his card!
    What little story are you going to tell?
    Love you, xoxox xXx []

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you're having a good time sweetie. I love you and can't wait to hear all about it when you get home.
    I can't get to sleep without taking to you now, it's really silly :-P
    LOVE YOU XXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mum, Dad and Duncan
    Here’s the story!
    I’m a youth worker and always like to work with young people where they are, using everyday stuff. One night at my youth group I was just standing around watching the kids play the playground games when Ali who is 10 kicked a football at me. So we started passing the ball between us, and conversation flowed. Ali told me about some issues he was dealing with, how stressed and upset he was getting. I felt so privildged that just by kicking the football back I was able to listen, talk and help. Something as simple as a football enabled Ali’s voice to be heard.
    Rach

    ReplyDelete