Monday 24 March 2014

Lent 3 - Risky butterflies

Butterflies are really delicate. I learnt this to my peril last week. I started Lent at a conference and one of the activities in Bible study was to make something that represented each one of us out of clay. Having spent the week carrying my MWiB bag around, and thinking that my level of involvement with MWiB and even getting to vote on the actual logo I thought I was probably allowed to make a butterfly and here it is.


The clay dried, all by itself, and when it was time to go home I packed it inside the sleeve of a jumper. 

Unfortunately my little butterfly didn’t make it home in one piece, here it is now.  Its wing broke off.
It made me think, life is delicate, sometimes we are roughed up a bit, sometimes we need a hug, sometimes it’s worse than that and we need help.

I watched this video recently. I love Upworthy, it is a very clever idea of bringing things together that deserve to be online. It's a video for a pregnant woman who finds out her baby has down syndrome.

The beautiful image of the butterfly on this week’s reflection brings out the beauty in the fragility. How often do we seek beauty? To make this point I'm not putting the picture here but offering you the link to seek beauty! 


There is much more that could be said, around disability, mental illness, terminal illnesses, or something else that touches you. Lets just remember to see the good when we can, find the beautiful and rejoice in the butterfly. 

The prayer on week 3's resource.
Creator God, I am amazed to think that you see such beauty and potential in me and yet give me the freedom to take risks for you. Help me to take flight for your kingdom’s sake. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment