Monday 27 February 2012

its not my fault I'm obsessed...

Warning this blog post has a Muppets movie spoiler in it!

It shouldn't come to much of a shock when I say that I am wedding / marriage obsessed. Blame culture fills our society and therefore I am going to argue that it isn't my fault!!

It is said that society is over sexualised, but I also think we are wedding obsessed. Love and relationships dominate everything we watch - even the adverts, think of the BT family, is it just me that is hoping the son is going to get with the lovely girl he's just moved in with.

I've given up wedding shows and films for Lent. So no 'Don't tell the Bride' or '4 weddings and a funeral' for me. I've got the Mamma Mia musical CD in my car at the moment (I totally blame my boyfriend who swapped the CDs in my car the other day!) Whereas it was the fault of my colleague-friend kinda person that I went through a girl power-Disney phase (lots of Pocahontas) a couple of weeks ago.

I've not given them up because I think I should give something up for Lent, but actually because I know I am too wedding obsessed and I am trying to avoid them. In the same way I avoid scary movies so I don't have nightmares. Now avoiding weddings is more complicated than you would think as even things I think I'm safe with (like the Muppets) still end with a proposal. And if we are what we eat we are also what we see. I can't help that my Facebook is full on friends getting engaged and married, but I can avoid more shows that are overtly about weddings.

So it’s not going to be easy, but here goes. Bring on lent.

No comments:

Post a Comment