Sunday 12 February 2012

Things I learnt while house sitting.

I've been house sitting this week - the fact that makes my post earlier in the week make sense. So here are 3 things I've learnt / re-learnt / thought about this week.


1 - I need a routine. Every morning this week I managed to get out of bed, let the dogs out, feed them and the fish and have my own breakfast before 8:30. This is quite an achievement for me. It's made me realise that I really need a routine - this morning I got up from my own bed at my house, and was already running late, I was hoping I'd automatically wake up at about 8am again. My life is sometimes complicated in getting up times, but I really could do with starting the day the same every day.

2 - I actually like pets. I've not always been a big fan of pets. There is a photo at Mum and Dad's house of me, my brother and the dog all lying on the floor with our faces together, and they always say its the closest I've ever got to the dog. I think its the walking and clearing up I'm not a big fan of.

3 - Where is home? I use the word home a lot. I've said I'm going home this week and meant where I was house sitting, same as when I'm on holiday. Similarly its taken some time but my parents house is somewhere else I call home. The corny romantic in me would say I'm truly home when I'm back in my boyfriends arms. Then there are other places I've been to and felt at home Yardley for example.


Then today I was doing a session on friends and family. My Sunday morning group is rather awesome, we start in church then make breakfast, then go into our comfy room with sofa's and have a chat while we eat French breakfast items and drink hot chocolate. And then when we are done they do the washing up.

A few weeks ago I asked them to list all the things they wanted to talk about and vote for the most important - Youth Participation :) So this week we got to friends and family. They started by drawing the best ever and worst ever friend and family member. We then compared results to see what the differences between what we expect from family and friends, and talked about how parents treat siblings differently, and the strange phase they go through when their kids are in their teens.

I used the line some of our friends can become like family and a very clever 11 year old boy came back and said that some of our family can be our friends.

We finished the session talking about the 5 love languages that I talk about as often as I can. And because words are the only one that works on the blog...

... I just want to say thank you to my family who are like my friends, and those of you my friends who are like Brothers and Sisters, to the Grandparents that have adopted me, and those of you who let me be like an Aunty to your kids. You all fill my life with happiness and look after me when I'm down - or need coffee. Thank you for those of you who have let me treat your house as my home. And a big hats off to anyone who has actually had to live with me - Well done!

No comments:

Post a Comment