Friday 9 March 2012

International Women's day

Warning blog contains some 'Wicked' spoilers.

Yesterday was International Women's day. It was also a Thursday. So like any other I wore black. There was a campaign about joining together on the bridge and more information on that can be found at - joinmeonthebridge.org

However as I have been at a conference this week (more details on that in a future blog hopefully) so didn't have a chance to find a bridge but I did go to see Wicked - The story of the Wicked Witch of the West. Its the typical story of 2 girls who meet and instantly hate each other (the blonde spoilt popular girl and the green outsider) but stuff happens and they end up being best friends, but then there is a boy! Isn't there always!! I mention it though as there is a song and the lyrics go:


I've heard it said,
That people come into our lives for a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led
To those who help us most to grow
If we let them
And we help them in return
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you

Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good



There are people who have changed me, Inspirational Women because I knew them I have been changed for good.

Let me tell you about my youth leader. She took me under her wing, really supported me in my first few steps in youth work. We met for coffee and I worked through the training course that Urban Saints had sent me. She did this while going through things in her life, but she was hardly ever upset. Her commitment got her what she wanted in life but she also cared about me and my future. Its because I knew her that I am where I am now.

My prayer is that I can be that person to others.

I'd love to hear your stories of inspirational women (or men) who because you knew them you were changed for good.

2 comments:

  1. At school I had a teacher who took time to listen to (and never belittled) my doubts. She affirmed me and definitely shaped who I am now. Since then my life has been massively enhanced by coming across many wise, wonderful women who again have given me their time and encouragement. And my daughter has inspired me from the moment she came along too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know its a totally unoriginal answer but my mum! She's just incredible; she was told she couldn't do the job she wanted (landscape gardening) because she was a woman but she didn't let plan b be second best! She had an amazing career but most importantly she is SO generous with her time- she's the most selfless person I know; its not even a chore or an effort to put other people first, it's just how she is. She has made me a hundred times more loving than I would have been!

    ReplyDelete