Friday 2 March 2012

My Big Grandad

I get rather sad after posting a blog cos I'll sit for about 30 minutes and watch the stats page, seeing how many people are reading this, where in the World you are even sometimes whether your using Windows or if you're on your iPad. (My boyfriend calls me a blog stat bore.)

I've spent some time this morning reading through my 'Big Grandad's' sermons. Walter Harris was a Methodist local preacher. I don't remember him as a person, but I feel I have a connection to him. I hope he's pleased that his sermons have been given to me. I'm still waiting to find a Sunday that I have the same lectionary as he has used. He obviously loved Winnie the Pooh, as he references the character, he often uses poetry in his services and there are people to pray for in the worship booklets. He often preached on just one verse, and many of his sermon's are typed but some are handwritten on random pieces of paper - the back of agendas etc, things don't change too much. Like I said I don't know him, but I feel like I do.

I come from a line of preachers and ministers - mostly Methodist but with some Baptists thrown in for good measure. Within the 6 generations starting with me and going up in the Coates clan at least 5 have preachers in them. I'm the second of my generation, a distant cousin is a minister. That doesn't include Walter as he is my Granny's dad, or my mum and her side of the family.

I'm not sure where my life is going, or what is going to happen next, but there's a part of my history, my heritage, you my blog readers are my present, and though the way forward may not be clear now one day I hope my great grandchildren will be proud of me and who I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment